Pages

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Make Writing a Priority




     Lately I've been extremely busy, as I'm sure everyone reading this has been, with a hundred different things. Writing related, work related, and everything in between. When life gets crazy busy, sometimes writing doesn't seem like a priority anymore...or maybe it just becomes easy to "put aside". However, if you want to write for the rest of your life--if it's what you want to do--you have to keep going with it. When life gets crazy and you want to, just for ten minutes, relax, you need to remember something: If you skip out on writing when you have the chance to do it, then you will always come up with an excuse. I'm saying this to you as much as I am saying it to myself. There is a reason that I am writing this at 11:47 at night. I was working on my other job and on another project, and got side-tracked. What a lame excuse, huh? Writing is seriously my number one priority besides God and family. If I'm not making it so, then what am I thinking?

     I've been writing since I was a kid. I remember sitting at my family's chunky computer and doing Mavis Beacon (heard of it?) typing tests to see how fast I could type. I remember printing out multi-font, one-paragraph, period-free (ever heard of something so beautiful?) stories to show to my parents and how proud I was of them. I have a binder with stories that I wrote when I was younger that include one that is basically just a kitten recruiting foxes and other woodland creatures as his friends. I got super detailed with my plots, as you can tell. 

      All this to say that if writing is your thing, as it is mine, you need, I mean NEED to make it a priority in your life. If you don't, then it'll fade away. Even the thought of that seriously makes my stomach turn. Writing is what I love, and if I can't make time for that something is seriously wrong. So, I AM making time for it. 

     In short, you need to make writing a priority. I am going to be honest and say that I flip back and forth sometimes with being diligent with writing. I think that this happens with everybody but the difference between people who make it and people who don't are the ones that keep going. When you get discouraged, stressed out with everything, or just plain tired, you need to keep going. This goes for anything else that you have a passion for, even if it isn't writing. If you love something, make it a priority and do it. Stick with it. It will be hard at times, but in the end, if you keep with it, the worst case scenario is that you end up doing the thing that you love. Now is that so bad? I don't think so. Dedicate time to writing and just do it. (I really didn't mean to make a Nike reference there, but, you know, it happens.) Anyway, keep on moving forward and don't stop writing, or doing what it is that you love, for anyone or anything. There is a reason that it is implanted in your heart as something you love. It's called a gift that God has given you, a passion that he has given you, or just a drive to do something that gives you a purpose in life. Do it if you feel that you should, and if you really like it. Make time for it. Make yourself write. 

     Chins up, everyone!

   -Elysia Regina

No comments:

Post a Comment

Each writer's pieces are independent and may not reflect other writers's views.