Pages

Thursday, August 8, 2013

3 Ways to Meet Your Goals

    In case you guys didn't notice, last week I didn't post. Really sorry about that! I had my wisdom teeth removed and wasn't feeling up to doing much of anything. Ever been there? Yeah, it isn't very fun. Anyway, this week I'll be talking about goals and how to meet them.

     Goals are something that most people set--whether it be financial goals, daily goals, or writing goals. There's something about setting a goal that makes you feel motivated to get something accomplished, right? By setting a goal, you are basically telling yourself that you better get something done by a certain time, or you've failed yourself. Here are three ways to meet and accomplish your goals.


     1.) Set a Realistic End Date.


     Something about setting goals is that they have to be realistic. It isn't that you shouldn't set high goals for yourself, or that you shouldn't make goals that are hard to meet, but that you should make things relatively realistic for yourself or you'll get discouraged. Here's something that you can follow for meeting goals.



  • If you set a high goal for yourself, say, "write 500 pages", make an end date that is realistic to that goal. 
  • If you have a less dramatic goal, like "write 100 pages", set a shorter end date. I suggest a month.

     If you set a month goal for 500 pages, then you'll probably stressing yourself out all month to try to write that much. Be realistic with yourself.



     2.) Be Consistant


          If your goal is a month--let's take the "100 pages" example--then write every day. If you don't write every day, then that 3.5 pages will soon turn into 7 a day, then over 10, and so on. Write every day and be consistant with yourself so that you don't get discouraged. When I did NaNoWriMo last November (National Novel Writing Month), I had to be consistant with myself. The goal is 50,000 words in a month, and whenever I skipped a day or two, I would have much more to write on the day that I did write, than if I had just written every day. I met my goal of 50,000 words (woohoo!), but it would have been easier if I had never let my days compile and had just written every day. Be consistant.


     3.) Tell Other People About Your Goals


          Another way to meet your goals is to tell others about them. I don't know about all of you, but I very much so like proving people wrong about things that they think about me--like people thinking that I couldn't write 50,000 words in a month. I like proving to people that I'm more than what they think I am. I don't know why this is so, but it's a good way to get myself motivated if other people know about my goals. If others know and I don't meet my goal,  not only did I fail myself, but I also failed all of those people that I told about my goal, and proved those that thought I couldn't do it right. Tell others about your goals.


     Lastly, don't get discouraged if you don't meet a goal. Right now on my main blog, JustaTeenWriting, I am doing a series called "Blog 50 Books". I set myself the goal of reading a book and writing a review every week. Sadly I've been doing really badly at meeting this goal. But here's the thing: Sometimes you might not meet your goals, but don't let this get you down. Either make more realistic goals for yourself, or re-plan. Make goals that you can keep and make them happen. After saying that, I think that I'd better complete my Blog 50 Books goal. See how I told you guys? Now I'll make it happen.


 -Elysia Regina

No comments:

Post a Comment

Each writer's pieces are independent and may not reflect other writers's views.