Pages

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Options

     I was recently given the opportunity to write for an interesting company. They assign different project from magazines and the like, and then pay you to complete such projects. I am a fiction girl at heart. Ever since I was little, I wrote fiction. I would write stories about kittens that got lost in forests (unique, right?), and guys with frogs as companions that galloped across the countryside. I never wrote nonfiction, essays about panda bears or how-to articles for gardening. It was never my thing. When I was given this opportunity--I had queried magazines before--I wasn't sure what to think about it at first. I mean, it would be fantastic to make money writing anything, really, but did I really want to do it? I honestly wasn't sure. I love writing books, working on my characters and imagining new plot lines. So what should you do when you're faced with something like this?

     First of all, is it worth it? Sometimes you need to do things that aren't your number one favorite thing to do. Unfortunately, that's just life sometimes. Sometimes you need to do something that isn't your favorite in order to do something later that is your favorite. Is your time and effort with it, and would the outcome be something that you would want? 

     Will you hate it? I don't hate writing articles. Once I get into it, I actually really like it. It's something different and fun. I usually try to take an edge of humor to it, too, which I love. If you are faced with an option like this, think about whether or not you would hate the situation. Some things just aren't really worth your time. There's a difference between doing something that isn't your favorite, and doing something you hate. Doing something that isn't your favorite is slightly annoying. Doing something that you hate tears you down. 

     That said, don't do something that you hate. In the end, unless it's for an extremely short amount of time, it probably won't do you any good. In my case, I am going to pursue the job. I think that it's a good opportunity to get my name out there before I publish my book, and also make a little money doing so. Weigh your options in a choice like this, because time is precious! 

 -Elysia Regina

No comments:

Post a Comment

Each writer's pieces are independent and may not reflect other writers's views.