Pages

Monday, July 29, 2013

4 Ways to Realize You're Reading a Lemon


     By lemon, I don’t mean lemonade although that would be nice. Rather, I mean a book that isn’t right for you. This book may be fine for others, it may even be fine for you at a later point in your life, but right now you need something else to read. That’s what I mean by lemon.

     The first time I read Pride and Prejudice I hated it! Reading it took me forever. I only finished it through a power of will and because I hate leaving a book unfinished more than I hated the book. That was my first experience. But then in college I had to read it again and I had seen the movie so I was more familiar with the story and characters. My second experience was completely different, but I still don’t LOVE Pride and Prejudice because of my first bad experience. If I had realized it is okay to leave some books unfinished and perhaps wait to return to them until a later date, this could have been different. To save you this anguish, here’s how to realize you are reading a lemon:

1.      If you find yourself zoning out rather than reading

     When you zone and your eyes glaze over, sometimes this can be because you are tired. Other times it’s because you really aren’t being engaged by the book. If your own imagination becomes more interesting than the book you are reading, it’s probably because this book just isn’t for you or isn’t for you right now.

2.      If you find any and every reason to put that book down

     I’ll clean my room. Take the trash out. Play a game. Watch a movie. Anything to avoid the one book you think you should read. If the book is good, all those things can wait. Seriously, who would rather clean their room than read a book? Answer: Someone who doesn’t like the book or books they have to read.

3.      If you can stop at the end of a chapter and not remember to return

     Sometimes I’ll do this thing where I’ll read the first page of a book, put it down and walk away for a week. If I still remember what the book is about and want to know what happens, then that is the book for me. But if I’m reading a book and I put it down and only remember it when I stub my toe on it, that means this book is not for me.

4.      If you really notice the page numbers

     When you read a book you can notice that there are page numbers and remember which page you are on, but when you start thinking, I’m on page 47 with 282 pages to go, that is not good. You’re not going to want to read because it is taking foreverrrrrr.

5.      If you start to hate reading

     You may LOVE to read. I do too! However, I don’t love everything I read. There is a difference between loving to read and disliking a specific book. But knowing you love to read means it is sometimes difficult to realize there are still things you hating reading. You can do something you love so many times that you start to go through the motions and if you are keep reading something that deep down you hate you will wake up one morning and realize there is a part of you that hates reading.

     So what do you do once you realize you are reading a lemon? Come back next week and find out!


-Christina J. Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment

Each writer's pieces are independent and may not reflect other writers's views.