Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Readers



     First of all, sorry that this post is a day late, guys. If you don't know me personally, I'll tell you that I'm really bad at remembering what day it is. Like, seriously, all day Tuesday I thought that it was Wednesday. It's really bad and I should probably start writing on my hand what day it is, or something, but whatever. (I'm such a blonde...) All that to say that I forgot that Wednesday was Wednesday. Go me! Anyway, this week I'm talking about readers. 

     Let me just say that I know that readers scare some people. I mean, think about it: You're releasing your unfinished, from the heart, stressed over, worked over, precious little newborn novel to someone to read and critique. And, oh right, if they hate it, then you'll probably feel like a failure for a little while. But here's the thing: it's necessary. It's just as important as writing your book in the first place. Writing a novel and then not showing it to someone is the equivalent of painting a picture and then hiding it in a closet. Then burying the closet. You'll never know how it is, how it compares to other works, and what your friends and colleagues think of it. Release your baby novel! It needs to see the world or it'll starve. (Okay, Elysia, enough with the baby analogy...) But seriously, you need to show it to people. 

     How do you do it? Take a deep breath and write down three to five of your closest friends. These could be family members, coworkers, or your best buddies since first grade. Whoever they are, have them be people that you trust, respect, and care about. It's probably important, too, that they read regularly and like reading and fiction--or nonfiction if that's your niche. 

     Now you're probably thinking: No, really, like how do you physically do it? I prefer to print it out (Staples is the bomb) and give it to my readers in that form. It has a more physical feeling that way, and a OH MY GOSH MY BOOK IS HERE!!! kind of feeling, too. This also gives your readers a chance to go crazy with a red pen and mark their opinions. It's not too expensive, either, and might make you feel more comfortable than sending your 200+ page manuscript over an email. Yikes! If that's what you would rather do, though, go for it. I suggest a PDF file. 

     Give your readers a month or so to read it before asking them to get it back to you. I have the hardest time with this, because I want to know after every chapter, heck, every page what they think. Just try to give them some time. Maybe ask after a couple of weeks how it's going. Once a month has passed, feel free to check in to see if they're closing in on finishing it. Just don't be annoying. Seriously. Nobody likes the annoying writer-friend. Psh...I've never been that...*wink*. Anyway, get your book to them somehow.

     Now pretend that a month has passed and they give it back to you. There are three basic responses that you will get.

     1.) They didn't like it. I've gotten this before. At first it's like getting stabbed in the stomach. With a poison-tipped, on-fire spade. That has spiders on it. And you die. Okay, maybe not that bad, but it really does suck at first. To hear that your close friend or relative doesn't like it can make you want to throw your writing career in the trash. However, you need to get over it. Number one, not everyone will like your book. I didn't like Tale of Two Cities. *gasp!* I know. It's a classic, read and loved by millions, and it took me all summer to get through. Call me uncivilized, tasteless and silly, but I didn't like it. That certainly doesn't mean that it's a bad book, or that Charles Dickens failed. Ha ha. It just means that I didn't like it. No biggie! Not everyone will like your book. Cry about it if you want, but it's true. And what if it really is bad? That's okay, too. It might not feel like it is okay at first, but it really is. I've written five books and my present one is the first that I've actually decided to try and get published. Each book that you write, most always, will be better than the first. This means that if your first, second, fifth book isn't great, your next one might be. One or two...or four...not great books doesn't mean that you're a bad writer or that you'll never be able to write professionally. It just means that you need more practice. 

     So, if all three of your people say that it's beyond fixing, or that it really sucks (by the way, they'll probably put it nicer than that), then move on. You'll survive, I promise. 

     Now that I've gone through having five books critiqued, I'm a lot better at taking feedback and criticism. In fact, I really like them. I tell my readers to be as harsh as possible. I tell them to pretend that they don't even know me. I want an honest opinion. I don't want to be lied to, and I don't want things to be sugar coated. Stab me in the stomach! Ask this of your readers, and eventually a bad critique won't make you sad. You'll probably always be slightly disappointed if someone doesn't like something you spent so long on, but it won't always seem like a tragedy. It'll make you strive to get better.

     2.) Meh. Needs work. This isn't bad, this is normal. Expect this remark from a first or second draft of your book. No big deal. Edit it further, take the feedback and make your book better. After that, I suggest that you give it to just one or two people for a faster turn around. Then do a final edit, and if you and your readers believe that it's ready, go on the agent search! (If traditionally publishing) 

     3.) It's good! The first time that I got this response was from my present book. I was so used to getting "Meh", that this response made me be like: Really!?!? It also really encouraged me. Just an "I like this" can move you miles in your confidence. If you get this response from all of your readers, then I highly suggest that you pursue publishing. 

     Whatever your response is, please don't give up. If you really love to write and have a passion for it, then continue with it! I can guarantee you that if you stop writing, sometime down the road--probably soon--you will start to feel an empty spot. I promise you that. Don't give up. Take each critique in stride and don't be disappointed with it. Take each "I don't like it, it sucks", as a little kick to keep going and getting better. Eventually, if this is what moves you, you'll hit it right and write the book that makes it for you. Keep your head up, guys!

 -Elysia Regina

No comments:

Post a Comment

Each writer's pieces are independent and may not reflect other writers's views.