Pages

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Lindsay Cummings Interview!

     


     I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to interview Lindsay Cummings, up and coming author of THE MURDER COMPLEX (Greenwillow Books/HarperCollins), coming summer 2014, and THE BALANCE KEEPERS (Katherine Tegen Books/HarperCollins), coming fall 2014. Lindsay is 21 years old and is sure to be successful in every aspect of her career--just from talking to her for a little while, I can tell that she's one of the most sincere, kindest AND funniest people that you will ever meet. 

     Lindsay's pretty cool, too. She owns a draft horse and collects weapons. Could you find someone more awesome? I don't think so. Anyway, here's the interview! Hope you guys enjoy.

What is your first memory of writing something? What was it that you wrote?

I used to write little cute barnyard stories when I was little!

At what point did you know that you wanted to be a writer?

When I got sick after I graduated highschool in 2009, I knew I had to choose something to do. I took a good hard look at my life, and realized...writing is something I've always loved. So I took it seriously, and it turned into a career!

What books most influence your writing, and are there any books that you've read over and over again?

I loved The Hunger Games, 1984, Wither, Divergent, Harry Potter, Catcher in the Rye, Delirium! Basically, awesome adventure books! :)

What is your favorite "writing atmosphere?" Do you have a "writing spot" that you love to write in?

I write on the right side of my couch, with a big glass of iced water, and my feet up on the coffee table. In pajamas...all day. lol.

If you could choose any writer to be your mentor, living or deceased, who would it be?

SUZANNE COLLINS! Lauren Oliver. Veronica Roth!

When did you first get the idea for The Murder Complex? What was that initial idea?

I read a newspaper article about this town where all these people were being murdered, and I thought...."okay. I could turn that into a really cool scifi story."

How did you come up with The Murder Complex's title?

I always knew it would be the title from the start! Honestly...I don't remember how I came up with it, lol. It was so long ago!

During the process of publishing, did you ever have doubts that you may not become published? If so, how did you deal with those doubts? 

YES. I had so many doubts, and tears, and panicky moments. My agent was the best person to help me. She is a rockstar, and made me feel so much better all the time!

When the Murder Complex found its home at HarperCollins, did you ever think that you would be getting another book deal soon after for a MG book?

I had no idea. It's crazy, and God has blessed me so much!!

What have you found are the major differences between writing a YA novel versus a MG one?

Middle Grade is way more fun and all about the adventure, and finding the joy in things. YA is very angsty! The POV in both series is also different, so sometimes that's a tough transition.

Though your books haven't yet been released, can you tell us if you can relate to any of your characters? Specifically the Murder Complex's main character, Meadow Woodson? Do you find that characters in your writing sometimes reflect friends or family in your own life?

It's so funny, I get this question a lot. Meadow IS me. When I got sick, I wrote myself into the story, so I could do great things in the pages of a book. Everything she thinks, everything she does, is what I would do in that situation. Writing her has been totally therapeutic for me.

With your three adorable dogs and beautiful horse, you seem to have a heart for animals. Has this inspired any of your writing? Can we expect some animal spotlights in your upcoming books?

I can totally say that there's LOT of animals in The Balance Keepers. I have a few ideas and projects in the background that I hope someday will make it on shelves that are animal-friendly as well :)

You say that The Murder Complex is the first of a duology--how is it writing a series? Do you find the transition from the first to the second book difficult to overcome?

Book 2 is not done yet, and hasn't even been written. So I can't really answer this question as best as I'd like to! 


Lastly, what is some advice that you have for budding writers, or writers that are beginning to look for an agent or publisher? 

Writer's conferences are AWESOME. I love them. I always tell people to find one, and go learn. That's how I got my start!

__________________________________________________


Are you convinced of her awesomeness? Me, too.

Wish Lindsay luck with her new books, and make sure to pick them up when they come out next year--I'm betting that she'll be the next Suzanne Collins or Veronica Roth!

Also check out her website LindsayCummingsBlog for more on Lindsay, her books, and some awesome giveaways that she frequently does. 

Have an awesome rest of your week, guys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Each writer's pieces are independent and may not reflect other writers's views.